The Voices Maker
Tenor & Singing Master
A stoning successfull career in numerous operas
He tells us about his life and his career:
“Having graduated in singing with top marks from the Luigi Boccherini Music Institute in Lucca (Italy), my home town, I have performed 62 opera roles and more than 200 concert programmes all over Europe, in 8 foreign languages, thanks to my successes in a number of national and international competitions, which launched me into a theatrical career when I was very young.
I studied singing with internationally renowned teachers: Leyla Gencer, Rodolfo Celletti, Giuseppe Di Stefano, Franco Corelli, Carlo Bergonzi, Cathy Berberian; but what I call “my teacher” was Rina Del Monaco, wife of the tenor Mario, from whom I learned the mechanical principles of the Melocchi technique that I later deepened on the scientific/phonetic side and put as the basis of my Menicucci Method, registered in 2012, with the trademark TdA® (Affondo Technique).
Today I teach at the Conservatorio Giuseppe Verdi in Milan (Italy), after having come first in a ministerial competition based on titles and tests that lasted 4 years, in which more than 900 singing teachers from all over Italy participated.
I explain TdA® thanks to three publications that are still in the catalogue: Scuola di Canto (ed. Omega-TO), 46 Solfeggi per voci liriche (ed. Liber Faber), La voce, d’altro canto (ed. Zecchini-VA) and I am founder and president of musicArtemia, a music association that deals with production, representation of young singers and music education.
At the same time as singing, I studied composition and conducting, and today I can boast of several performances of my own works and several appearances in the theatre as conductor and choirmaster.
I have recorded 7 operas for Fonit-Cetra, Ricordi, Frequenz and other labels.
I have recorded operas and chamber music for RAI and Radio della Svizzera Italiana.
I have been Maestro of the RAI Choir of Turin (1985), of the Nuova Polifonica Ambrosiana and of the Choir of the Academy of Lugano.
I have to my credit a countless series of opera singing Masterclasses (well over 100) all over the world: Italy, Lithuania, Russia, America, South Korea, China, Croatia and Japan.
In recent years, I have received, for cultural merits, the “Medal of the President of the Italian Republic” in 2012, a “Diploma of the Tuscany Region” in 2013, the “Sanremo International Awards” in 2014 and the “Personaggio della Cultura Miss Arte Moda” award in Livorno in 2016.
I have been appointed Guest Professor at the “Normal University” of HaiKou (China), at the “UAZHONG University” of WuHan (China) and Visiting Professor at the Conservatory of ShenYang (China).
I am a frequent commissioner in international competitions for young opera singers and I was president-director of the international competition “Sanremo Musica Classic” and founder and director of the international competition “Trofeo La Fenice”.
I was a speaker at the International Conference on Phoniatrics and Singing in Ravenna in 2003.”
CHORAL SINGING COACH AND CONDUCTOR
- Radiotelevisione Italiana Choir (1985) Torino / Italy
- Music Academy of Lugano (1996) Switzerland
- Nuova Polifonica Ambrosiana (1986/1987) Milano / Italy
- Corale Domenico Savio Choir (1982/1990) Livorno / Italy
- Cappella Francesco Gasparini (1986) since 1986
- Principal Opera Theater Choir (2014/2016) Shanghaï
For Ricordi, Frequenz, Fonit-Cetra, RAI, Radio Svizzera Italiana
THEATRES WHERE HE PERFORMED 62 OPERATIC ROLES
- GENOVA – “Teatro Comunale” 1980, 1982, 1986, 1987, 1990
- TORINO – “Teatro Regio” 1984, 1991
- PALERMO – “Teatro Massimo” 1987
- VENEZIA – “Teatro La Fenice” 1982
- MARTINAFRANCA – Festival 1982
- PARMA “Teatro Regio” 1981, 1982
- TORRE DEL LAGO Festival 1980, 1986
- MODENA – “Teatro Comunale” 1980
- COMO – “Teatro Sociale” 1982
- SASSARI – “Teatro Verdi” 1988/1997
- MANTOVA – “Teatro Sociale” 1990
- LUCCA – “Teatro del Giglio” 1980, 1990
- TIMISOARA (Rome) – “Teatro di Stato” 1995
– MANY OTHERS
PERFORMER IN OVER 200 CONCERTS
In the opera houses of all Europe, in 8 different languages, with various repertoires among which Sacred music, Opera, Lieder, Operetta, Camera, Salotto, Contemporaneous
- “EDI BOCELLI” voice’s school since 2003
- “NOI CHE CANTIAMO IN CORO” choir masterclasses in Porretta Terme since 2005
- “SANREMO MUSICA CLASSIC” international voice competition since 2006
- “MusiCantoElba Music Academy” section operatic voices in Portoferraio since 2005
- “LA FENICE” international voice competition, in Tuscany since 2008